Friday, March 28, 2008

In Memory of Pepper


My children were able to experience death for the first time this week. We had eleven baby goats (kids). The children liked to play with them and we were bottle feeding them. One of the little boys was not eating real well. I was thinking he wasn't going to make it. Then on Monday when I went to feed them in the morning, Pepper was dead.

Though I wasn't happy, this gave my children the chance to experience a death. Tirzah was pretty sad and cried on and off that morning. Azariah cried when I initially told him.

In our society were death is something that occurs in a hospital away from people, I believe it is good for children to see death. I put Pepper in an Amazon box so we could bury him. The children came and said good bye to Pepper and touched him. Then later that afternoon we buried him. I believe it was a good experience. Death isn't natural, since God created Adam and Eve perfect, yet because of sin it is an inevitable part of life. May we rejoice when we get to enjoy the resurrection of the dead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is wonderful that you don't shelter them from death. Andrew had let me adopt two small, maybe three week old, kittens and we bottle fed them. One day I came home from work and the black and white one (also named Pepper) was motionless. I'm grown and it still upset me- Andrew had to bury her for me.