Friday, April 27, 2007

Tractors, Goats, Water, and Rubberizer

What a beautiful day it was today. I started early with milking the goats. Then some time with the Lord and then back out to the goats. I decided to trim the goats hooves. While I was trimming Sugar and Mocha's hooves, my mom was using the little tractor to stop the water from the field from flooding our driveway. Well, as she was doing this the front tractor tires sank into the mud. She tried to get out, but she was stuck. Azariah and Tirzah were riding on the tractor with her and all of a sudden Azariah started crying hysterically. He is hard to understand even when he isn't crying so it is harder to understand him when he is crying. Therefore, she had to get him calmed down to figure out what he was crying about.

Azariah: "The tractor is stuck..." This said through tears and sniffs.
Gramgee: "Azariah it is O.K. we will get it out with the backhoe."
Azariah: "Oh, O.K." and he was fine. I think he actually was excited about getting to use the Backhoe. But that would have to wait till later, Gramgee had to get to work.

Notice the front wheels stuck deep in the mud

I finished trimming the does hooves and then I went to my bucks. One is very friendly. He was bottle fed as a baby and will come up to you and try to kiss you in his own special way. I trimmed his hooves first. He did a good job of standing still for me. Then came my other buck, Minco. He does not like to be caught and even with the grain to lure him, I missed his collar twice and then he didn't fall for the grain trick again. So, here I am running around the pen trying to catch a silly goat. Tirzah comes out and asks if they can paint. I said yes, as long as they didn't make a mess. (Yea, what mom believes that two pre-schoolers left to themselves with tube paint won't make a mess.) It at least allowed me to finish catching the silly goat and trimming his hooves. After about 10 minutes I finally catch Minco when he went into the goat house. He did well when I trimmed his hooves also.

Then I went into the house. Let us just say, it wasn't a huge mess, but when your daughter comes out before you get inside and says that Azariah is a super hero, you know something must be up. Azariah is in the bathroom leaving black hand prints on everything, including daddies toothbrush. He has black paint all over his face. But what is he doing? Is he trying to clean up the mess? No, he is trying to put toothpaste on his toothbrush to brush his teeth. The mirror is slimed with black paint, the front of the clothes washer has hand prints all over it and the toilet also has hand prints. Overall they did a good job at containing the mess.

Azariah as a Superhero

Gramgee finally gets home in late afternoon and it is time to rescue the tractor. She gets the backhoe and I go out to see how I can help. After some manuvering we finally have the tractor free. I rinsed the mud off the tractor and then sat down outside to read for a little while before milking and supper time. I milked my goat and then went in to get supper going.

Rescuing the Tractor with the Backhoe

As I started to put the ingredients in a small food processor for a marinade for the meat, my daughter comes running in saying, "Azariah can't get the water shut off." I knew they were in the barn and the faucet in the barn does not have a drain under it so I run out to the barn to shut it off. However, it wasn't the faucet by the door, it is the one where all the hay is. If you don't know, wet hay means moldy hay, which means bad hay. So I get it shut off and then take a broom to sweep out the water along with my children. We got that cleaned up and I saw Azariah had a spray bottle of Armour shine for cars. I informed him to put it back and he was not to get anything out of that stall. (One of the stalls in the barn is a storage place for car stuff that came from my dad's car lot when he downsized). The children came back to the house with me to put their hoes away, and then the ran back out to play.

So I start putting the ingredients together once again for my meat. And it wasn't very long before I hear crying from my son and my daughter comes bursting through the door saying, "Azariah sprayed some stuff in his eye." When I see Azariah he has brown all over his face and is holding his eye with an equally brown hand. I sit him on the sink to start cleaning some of it off and send Tirzah out to the barn to find what he sprayed in his eye. She arrives back with a can of stuff to rubberize your undercarriage with. It says "If contact with eyes, flush with water for fifteen minutes and consult your Physician." So I then sent Tirzah to find Gramgee and I had her call poison control. While she doing that I have Azariah in the shower and am spraying water in his eyes. Have you ever tried to spray water in a crying/screamming three year olds eyes, while he is fighting to get away. He was naked, so rather slippery. It was not fun, but kind of comical. Gramgee comes in with the phone and asks does his eye still hurt? How do you get a straight answer out of a screaming three year old who wants you to stop anyway. It took a little while, but he did say his eye didn't hurt anymore. So the lady at poision control says that should be good. Well, I gave Azariah a shower after that and realized then that the orange marker on his leg from two days ago was not from a Crayola marker, but from a Sharpie marker, so he has some kind of patroleum based product on his face and orange Sharpie marker on his legs.

Azariah with the remains of Rubberizer on his face

Finally I get back to dinner and am able to get it put together. Instead of getting dinner ready by the time Gil got home, I was only 1/4 of the way through with dinner preparations.

Later when I was talking to Tirzah, I asked her, "Tirzah what was Azariah trying to spray with the can?"
She answered "He was trying to spray me." I was not able to contain my laugher as I thought of my son holding up the spray can trying to push it down and having it aimed at himself instead of his sister. Just another day of the joy of children. Thank you Lord for your goodness to us.

No comments: