Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The saga of the lost keys... And One Night with the King

Well, yesterday I described my son taking the car keys out to the tractor to try and start it. Well, at the time, I had the thought, I should probably go get the keys so he doesn't do somethig with them. However, Azariah has been doing well at remembering what he did with things... at least he had been doing well.

He lost the keys! Yep, he can tell me what he did after the red tractor, which was to go to the blue tractor, he can even tell me he went in the garage to try and start the four-wheeler with the keys after that, but he has brain fog after that. Three-year-olds aren't the best rememberers. We have looked everywhere and I pray that the Lord would be gracious and allow us to find them soon.

Gil and I also started watching and only he finished watching One Night with the King. It is based on the story of Esther in the Bible. But I don't really know that I can even say "based" on it, because it only uses the same names as the characters in the Bible. I was tired and bored with it so we went to bed instead of finishing it and then Gil finished it today. The story of Esther is such an amazing display of God's sovereign hand at work in His people, that it can't get any better than what the Bible records. As often happens, the film writers seemed to be afraid that the biblical story wasn't exciting enough, and attempted to make it more exciting, but at the expense of accuracy, believability, and in the end, excitement also. The hollywood version compared to the biblical acount became silly and dull in comparison, and also lacks the wonderful hand of God. What did I expect it to be like? About like it was, but there is always the hope that it would be different. When you try to mesh Western Twenty-First century culture and world-view into a film about a culture and world-view so radically different from our own it will never be accurate, and seldom very good. I reference The Nativity Story as well. It had much more merrit than One Night with the King, but the way they portrayed the culture at the time of Christ's birth was woefully wrong with a notable example of the modern feminist mindset given to Mary.

Oh yea, one more thing, if you want to mess up a chicken concoction, just add some canned peas to the mix, it is bound to make it worse than it would have been.

No comments: