Monday, February 16, 2009

The Little Peeps

Today we received our shipment of chicks. Last year we did meat chickens with another couple, and it went well. However the feed cost for the chickens was a lot. We saved some money in the project because I used every scrap of the chickens I could.

This year though, Gil wants to see if we can cut feed costs by having slower growing chicks and feeding them table scraps and such as well as allowing them to free range more. So we purchased 25 light breed chicks to raise. We will see how it goes. It is still a little cold here for the chicks, but I wanted to be well underway before the goats start kidding in mid-march.

Along with the birds for meat, I also ordered another Black Polish Creasted rooster because our first "Sir Topham Hat" drowned in the horses water on Tirzah's birthday. And then I ordered two bantam chicks that I am hoping are hens to go with our bantam rooster. Last year our banty hen sat on eggs and had three chicks. However, we lost the momma and two of the chicks. One survived to adulthood but about 6 weeks ago she disappeared, so I wanted a couple more banty hens.

We put the chicks in the barn, but the three in the video were not doing as well as the others. These are the two Silver Pincelled Bantams and Sir Topham Hat Jr. At the beginning we were thinking the bantams were going to die, they were pretty pathetic and so we feed them sugar water and mash. Tonight they are doing well and looking like they will survive, for now.

The neat part was that the children prayed for the chickens. Tirzah said she prayed that God would touch their beaks so they would live. He must have done so because they are still alive.



One of the things I have been thinking about is something I heard from Chuck Bentley on Money Life. He said "If God owns everything then we don't loose anything." This is something I have been pondering over the last couple days. I struggle with "loosing" things such as chicks dying, invested money and expensive light bulbs breaking. When I consider the fact that all these things belong to God and though I need to be a good steward, ultimately it is all God's and He can do with it as He sees fit and many times it is a way for Him to test me to see where my heart. Do I complain, which shows that I don't think God did what was best or do I respond with a heart of surrender knowing God is in control.

No comments: