Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Honoring Grandpa Barron

Honoring Grandpa Barron
His wife Marguerite Barron, Daughter Susan, Granddaughter Taneil
Great Grandchildren Azariah, Tirzah with Talitha and Zebadiah

August 1, 1987 I was eleven years old. The day before my family had travelled to Montrose, Colorado to celebrate my Grandfathers 64th birthday. I was then allowed to stay with my Grandparents as I often did in the summer. My Aunt, Uncle and their kids were coming in a few days to spend some vacation time. I was to go home before they arrived so that they would have sometime with Grandma and Grandpa before my family rejoined them for some time together.

On July 1, 1987 Grandma and I went into town. We stopped at my Great-Grandmother's house to say hi and make sure she had everything she needed. Then Grandma and I went to the grocery store to buy food. We decided to have SPAM for dinner and I was excited since I hadn't ever had SPAM before (I still haven't ever eaten it.) We left the store and went back to their house. As Grandma opened the garage door and started to drive in I had a vision of my Grandfather in a chair in the living room and that something was wrong. Grandma got out and took a bag of groceries in while I hung back in the garage for fear of the vision I just had. Then I heard the call..."Taneil, get in here..." by the sound of my Grandma's voice I knew my vision was real. I ran in and Grandpa was sitting in the chair, I helped Grandma pull him on to the floor where she started doing CPR. I tried to call the doctor, but they didn't have 911 at that time and I couldn't find the number. I was told to run over to the neighbors house. I ran as fast as I could and Mr. Slee came back with me. He too pounded on my Grandfathers chest and helped my Grandma while the ambulance came. This was of interested since Mr. Slee was Christian Science and therefore didn't believe in medical treatment. I went outside to wait for the Ambulance. The fire chief showed up and I waved him down. He went in and then ran back out to his truck to call the Ambulance. I have always been frustrated that they didn't send the Ambulance right away.

I don't remember a lot after that. I think I was taken over to the Slee's while they took my Grandpa in the Ambulance. Then my other Grandma came over and I remember a three way hug between Grandma Barron, Grandma Gregg and Me in the front room. Grandma Gregg had to leave because she left food cooking in her oven. My Aunt and Uncle arrived the next day and other relatives. Then I remember the funeral where my cousin Scott reached down and held my hand while we were at the graveside service. Later on after the funeral we went to Mesa Verde with everyone and had fun with the cousins. We had a great time with them.

My family was worried about me because I didn't talk about what had happened. The Lord was so gracious to me by allowing me to be there when my Grandfather died. I was very close to him and loved him very much. I honestly believe that because I was there and saw him like I did that it allowed me to except his death in a very real way. Whereas if I had been with my parents and not seen him as I did, I think it would have been a lot harder for me to accept that he was really dead. I am still awed at times that the Lord allowed me to witness his death, it was so powerful in my life.

Grandpa, as we called him, was a great man. He served in World War II as a Pilot. He loved us Grandkids and didn't have favorites. I would go camping with him and grandma on the Cimerron. I remember watching him give himself shots of insulin for his diabetes. He was always patient and willing to answer all my questions. I am so great full to have had such a good Grandfather. Grandma Barron now lives in our town and we help her with her needs. On June 3rd we went to Montrose to put flowers on my Grandfathers grave. My mom was gone for Memorial Day so we waited till she was back to go to Montrose. It was good for the children to see their Great-Grandfathers grave and help put the flowers on it.

No comments: