Sunday, June 1, 2008

Azariah the Detective

Zebadiah, Tirzah and Azariah arrive at the door smelling of Vic's Vapor Rub. What is the meaning of the smell, greasy hair and slathered arms? I was informed by Tirzah the tattletale that Azariah had done this to Zeb and himself. Zebadiah's hair was smeared with a generous helping of Vic's Vapor rub and now it could be used to spike his hair. Zeb's hands were also covered with the stuff and white lotion was on his legs. Azariah on the other hand had a small amount of Vic's in his hair, but his arms were totally slathered with Vic's. If you had a cold, it would have been a good idea to be in the same room as them.

Questions #1 "Azariah, why did you do this?"
Answer "I was being a detective."

We were in the middle of a Bible Study, so I didn't pursue the answer and sent Tirzah and Azariah back to the room while retaining Zeb to wipe him down with a paper towel and hopefully forestall any more detective work by Azariah.

Later, Gil goes into the room to find Vic's, Lotion, Neosporin, and Hydrocortisone in a mixture on the floor. The culprit is given towels and instructed to clean it up. Now however there is also water because when Zeb was taken back to the room, Azariah decided to pour water over Zebadiah. Why you may ask? Because Azariah thought Zeb would like it.

I ask Question #1 again "Azariah, why did you do this?"
Answer "Because I was being a detective."

The children had been watching The Andy Griffith Show and it was a DVD of the best of Barney so I think to myself that Barney must have been a detective. So I ask...

"Azariah, was Barney being a detective or something?"
Answer "No."

OK that didn't get us very far.

Question #3 "Why were you wanting to be a detective?"
Answer "Because Dee and Cy were detectives this morning."

Now for those of you who don't know, Dee and Cy are fictitious characters from the Sunday School Curriculum they use at our church. I don't know exactly what Dee and Cy did, but whatever they did, it made Azariah want to be a detective also.

It seems like I am a detective most days and the days that I am not a detective is usually because my children were not with me.

3 comments:

Josie said...

Thanks for the laugh!! :)

Hope said...

That's a good story...I totally agree your last paragraph of:

'It seems like I am a detective most days and the days that I am not a detective is usually because my children were not with me.'

I think that's the way for ALL moms & older sisters!!!
God bless as you continue being the detective!!!
Sarah P.

Unknown said...

Taneil,
Thank you for inviting me to your blog. "Honoring Grandpa Barron" brought tears to my eyes. You say a lot with a few words. I was fond of my Grandpa too, and I agree with you about death and small children. They get it much better than adults...
-Blair