Thursday, September 11, 2008

Grandma is 85

My Grandmother turned 85 today. Yes, I know it is the anniversary of "9/11" but long before "9/11" referred to a terrorist attack, it was my Grandmother's birthday. She was born in the year 1923 in Salida, Colorado. The actual house where she was born is still standing today. She has many great memories of her life. I am very grateful that I had such a wonderful Grandma.

She always loved us grand kids and there were no favorites. She is getting up in years now and doesn't always remember things like she did or hear them correctly, but she is still my Grandmother and I am proud of that. When she still had her car, she was able to buy one of the "Pioneer" License plates because her family ancestors settled in Colorado before 1900. That means I can get the same license plate and I am proud of that fact.

Sometimes it is hard to get Grandma to cooperate with pictures...so here she is smiling for the Camera. I just love my Grandma.

Here are Tirzah, Azariah and Zebadiah waiting for Grandma to blow out her candles. Tirzah asked why there were only eight candles on the cake. Gramgee informed her that to put 85 candles on the cake would be too hard.

The funny thing that happened tonight was that I told Azariah to run over and get my Camera. I told him where it was and he left. While he was gone I said "I will be amazed if he actually finds it." Not because it was hidden, but because he is blind when it comes to finding things. Well he comes back with the Camera and Tirzah says "Azariah, mommy is amazed." It was rather comical.

To my Grandmother:

I love you Grandma
I loved it when we waded in the river while camping
I loved it when I watched you do your funny exercises rolling on the floor.
I loved the funny little cover you would put over your hair so it wouldn't get wet.
I loved being able to come into your room in the morning with you and Grandpa and lay in bed with you two.
I loved eating the cherry ice cream with nuts you always bought.
It was wonderful watching you and Grandpa washing dishes together, I knew you loved each other.
It was wonderful playing pinuccle with you and Grandpa because I was the only one around and you needed a third player.
It was wonderful hearing your stories about growing up.
It was hard when the two of us found Grandpa that day, but even in that the Lord was so gracious. I am glad we were together when he died, that will be something I will never forget.
Oh Grandma, you are such a good Grandma and now you are a Great-Grandma to my children. I pray that they would learn from you and enjoy you as much as I do.

Love, Taneil

No comments: