Sunday, July 6, 2008

Grandma's Missing Prosthetic

My Grandmother who is 84 years old spent the fourth of July with us this year. We had the some friends with us from Texas, so we took them sight seeing. On the way, we picked up Grandma so she could enjoy the drive with us.

Grandma Barron

She had breast cancer about 8 or 9 years ago and they did a mastectomy on one of her breasts. Now she has a prosthetic. Well, she doesn't always get it placed correctly and I noticed that it was not where it needed to be. She asked me about it and we just took it out and put it in her purse. We were getting in and out of the van and walking around, so this solved the problem of it falling out and loosing it.

Near the end of our drive, we went to the visitor center and I stayed in the car to nurse Talitha. After about 20 minutes I see Gil and Grandma coming back to the van by themselves. Since they didn't have the other three children, I figured that something was up with Grandma.

They get to the van and she says "Taneil, I've lost my breast, it must have fallen out on a trail."
I reassured her that she hadn't lost it and reminded her that we had put it in her purse earlier. She was so relieved.

Gil had not known what we had done earlier so when Grandma went up to him and patted her chest saying "I lost it I need to tell Taneil." He brought her right out to the van.

Grandma and I were laughing as we walked back to the visitor's center because one of her friends had her prosthetic breast on the kitchen table and her little dog grabbed it and ran down the street with it flopping around. The lady was running behind him yelling as she tried to catch him. We were both glad that nothing like that had happened.

Later that day, my mom told me that Grandma told her that she had gone to the lost and found in the visitor's center to ask if anyone had turned it in. I would have liked to have seen the faces of those ladies when asked about this unusual missing object.

1 comment:

Hope said...

teneil,
That would be pretty comic...wish I could of seen those ladies faces as well!!!
God is good...it's nice that she still has a good attitude after having to go thru surgery...as some women wouldn't & would get bitter...
God is good, though isn't He???
Sarah P.