Sunday, May 18, 2008

You Didn't Tell Me That...

We have a problem with hitting in our family. Tirzah takes it on herself to hit her brothers when she becomes frustrated with them. Because of this, about a week ago I told her that if she hit her brother I would wrap her arm up so she couldn't hit him with it. Within an hour, Tirzah had her hand bound to her side with an ace bandage. She was not happy but did O.K. with it.

This last Friday, I was inside and the children were getting things out of the van. I heard voices rising and took a peek out the window to see Tirzah hit her brother. She was upset because I wanted her to get my wallet out of the car and Azariah locked the car door before she was able to get it. I called Tirzah in and got the Ace Bandage. This is the diologue that we had.

Mom: Tirzah did you hit your brother?
Tirzah: Yes, but...
Mom: No, it is never right for you to his him, I don't care what he did to you.
Tirzah crying: He locked the car door...
Mom: Tirzah I am going to wrap your hand up because you hit your brother.
(I proceed to wrap her hand up and then wrap it to her side, she is crying and protesting the whole time.)
Tirzah: You can't do this, it isn't fair.
Mom: Why isn't it fair?
Tirzah: Because you didn't tell me that you were going to do this.
Mom: Tirzah, did I tell you a week ago that I would wrap your hand up if you hit your brother?
Tirzah: Yes, but you didn't tell me toodaaay.
Mom: I told you last week...
(At this point Tirzah becomes hestarical and we go to her room)
Mom: Tirzah you are going to be disciplined because you are crying and screaming.
Tirzah crying and yelling: You can't do that, you can't do that, it's not fair.
Mom: Did I tell you the consequences for hitting your brother?
Tirzah: You didn't tell me today.
Mom: It doesn't matter, I told you last week what would happen.
Tirzah: But you have to tell me everyday.
Mom (starting to laugh): So I have to tell you everyday what the consequences are for every offense you might commit because you can't remember?
Tirzah: No. But your yelling at me. (She was yelling at me when she said this.)
Mom in a calm voice: Tirzah I am not yelling at you, you are yelling at me.
Tirzah: You didn't tell me you were going to wrap up my hand if I hit Azariah today.
Mom really starting laugh and not being able to hide it: I didn't tell you I was going to wrap up your hand when you hit Azariah.
Tirzah starting to smile: No you didn't.

The conversation went on a little longer...

I did discipline her for screaming and yelling at me and she finally came out of the room with a good attitude. She wore the wrap for about 30 minutes and then because of her good attitude I took it off. It struck me as funny that she wanted me to tell her everyday what the consequences of her actions would be, but in reality when I repeated that back to her, she found it funny also.

When I went to leave she didn't want me to leave, but she also didn't want to pray and ask Jesus to forgive her for what she had done. I pray with my children after something like this, but if they refuse to pray after I have prayed I leave them in their room telling them they may come out as soon as they change their attitude and get right with the Lord. Tirzah is pretty quick to come out most days and when she does her attitude is good. Isn't the Lord amazing. I enjoy seeing how he is working in my children's lives.

1 comment:

Hope said...

Wow, Teneil, that reminds me of my little siblings!!! I'm glad it worked out!

Isn't it amazing how they're minds work???
God bless!
Sarah P.