Saturday, October 3, 2009

You Never Know How a Child Interprets a saying...

Tirzah started Piano lessons a few weeks ago. This week the teacher called and said they were getting hooked up to City Sewer so we would need to park down the street and walk to the house. No problem I said knowing that the boys being able to watch machines would be fun for them.

The boys and I went to look at the trench that was dug down the driveway the day before. We talked about it and then the boys watched the workers start to tare up the street.

Later we went and had art class. On our way home Azariah and Tirzah start to argue. Azariah comes to tears and I ask what is going on.

Azariah says "Was it OK for them to dig up the driveway at that house?"
I say "Yes, Azariah it was fine for them to dig up the driveway."
Azariah "Tirzah said they did it 'on purpose'"
Mom: "Yes, they dug up the driveway 'on purpose'".
Azariah "How can they dig it up on purpose if it's OK?"

I started laughing as I realized the only time Azariah hears the phrase "on purpose" is when we ask him "Azariah did you hit your brother on purpose?" "Azariah did you cut your hair on purpose?" "Azariah, you did to do that on purpose didn't you." No wonder the child thought the phrase "on purpose" meant something bad.

I explained it to him and we were OK from there.

No comments: